Friday, May 27, 2011

The Power of "Yes"

Today we had a really, fabulous lunch.  However, it had nothing to do with my culinary skill, or reservations at some great, new place.

It all started with leftovers.  


I told the girls that we'd be having leftovers for lunch.  At first, this was greeted with groans.  But a few minutes later, Lil' N strolled in and said, "Can we make it just like Acapulco?"  (Acapulco is one of our favorite family restaurants.)

"What do you mean?" I attempted to clarify.  

"We can have chips and cheese and make a menu...just like Acapulco."  

And here was the moment I could have said, "NO."  I could have decided that it would be too much of a bother or told her to just eat.  But in that moment, I said, "YES!" 
 
I helped her write a menu with our fabulous choices (ie - all of the leftovers in the fridge).  Lil' N put out a bowl of chips and selections of cheese dip and salsa as appetizers.  We placed drinks in cups with straws, so it would be "more like the restaurant."  And Lil' N was a fabulous waitress, taking orders from Lil' R and Hubby.  I was, of course, the kitchen staff.  



 But most importantly, we turned a boring, unexciting lunch of leftovers into a grand, family event.  


The thing is, I'm not always good about saying YES.  But today, I saw how good YES can be.  And hopefully, this will be a good reminder the next time I am tempted to say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...